Getting Ready for your Cross Country Move
Whether using professional cross country movers, a moving service, renting a truck for moving, or using a shipping container there are some important things to consider well before the move.
1. The first thing you’ll want to do is get rid of things you never use. Go through your clothes and consider giving away what you haven’t worn within the last 12 months. Chances are if you haven’t worn it one time within a full calendar year, you’re not ever going to wear it again.
2. Do you still have any unopened packing boxes from the last move? If so, open the boxes and decide whether or not you want this stuff cluttering up your life. If the items are unnecessary, consider giving them to Goodwill or some other worthy cause.
3. Once you’ve gotten rid of items you no longer need then you’ll want to start packing. You’ll need quite a few boxes and packing tape. We suggest that you do not purchase the large packing boxes as these will tend to be overfilled. Which will make them hard to carry.
4. More on packing. Although you do want to keep down your moving costs, it is wise to purchase the best packing tape you can find, and plenty of good bubble-wrap.
5. Once you are ahead of the game with packing, the cleaning process should begin. Performing an intensive cleaning on your entire home in one day can be difficult. But chunking the cleaning by doing one room per day until moving day will make the job of cleaning go much easier.